Saturday 11 February 2012

blackened basa


When I woke up this morning I was craving fish so I looked up the first blackened basa recipe I could find online and cooked away for a total of ten minutes this evening to create this delectable meal. I am thoroughly impressed with myself as my meals as of late have mostly comprised of a toasted whole wheat pita and some 7 pepper hummus. The recipe is incredibly easy and takes less time to make than toasting a piece of pita. 

Blackened Basa
Paprika, 2 tsp
Oregano, 1/2 tsp
Thyme, 1/2 tso
pepper, red or cayenne, 1/4 tsp
splenda, 1/2 tsp
1 fillet of basa (this is two servings for me)
salt, 1/2 tsp
black pepper, 1/4 tsp
garlic, 1 clove (you can also use the pre-ground or powder if you're lazy)
Olive oil, 1 tbsp
butter (I used RSF becel. Which did the trick)
lemons, 1 fruit without seed (or lemon juice)
Directions

In a small bowl combine the paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne, splenda, salt and black pepper. Rinse the basa and pat dry, sprinkle the spice mixture on top and rub in with your hands on both sides of the fillet, coating well. 
In a large skillet saute the garlic in the oil over moderately high heat, stirring, until it is golden brown and discard the garlic. Add the butter, heat it until the foam subsides, and in the fat saute the basa for 4 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through. 
Transfer the basa fillets with a spotted spatula to 2 plates and serve them with a lemon wedge. 
...
Serving Options

I served mine with seared asparagus and brown rice but you could pair it with just about anything you pleased. 

An alternative is to saute your cooked rice in a pan to crisp it up a little (I always like my rice to be a little chewy) drizzle some light soya sauce and your hot sauce of choice. Add the steamed asparagus (cut it up into bite size pieces) saute the two together adding in some fresh chives and lemon juice.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment