Tuesday 5 June 2012

BORGO TRATTORIA







818 16th AVE SW
Calgary Alberta
Italien

Borgo Trattoria was amazing! The interior decor reminded me a lot of the restos and café's often featured in KINFOLK. The decor consisted of pendant lamps, filament bulbs and stools from RESTORATION HARDWARE one of my favourite decor stores. While decorating my new condo we spent so much time in the store that I find myself recognizing their pieces in restaurants all over the place. There were also two faded print images of Venice, Italy hung on the walls which we had seen at an art gallery along Granville street in Vancouver. I had been considering them for my condo and it was funny to see them at Borgo in Calgary. The dishes aren't huge and designed for sharing. My parents and I split the order of ciabatta bread with olive oil and balsamic as well as three appetizers

1. TRIFOLATI
Sauteed mushrooms, olive oil crostini

2. CROSTINO
Toasted Ciabatta, pecan-maple spread, smoked chicken & apple.

3. MELAZANE
Eggplant "fries", fennel seed-lemon yoghurt dip

The TRIFOLATI was to die for! The mushrooms were absolutely amazing. The CROSTINO was delicious too but my least favourite of the three appetizers. The MELAZANE was incredible too. The eggplant "fries" had a very unique taste and  were very crisp.

One of my favourite things about BORGO was that we could eat our appetizers before ordering our mains which allowed you to gauge how hungry you were and what you wanted to order afterward.  Seeing as we shared a good deal of food before our entrée we decided to split two rather than ordering a full one to ourselves. We decided on the:

1. Grilled pork/rosemary sausages (2), "fagioli" bean "uccelletto" with tomato & ricotta salata

2. Char-broiled beef sirloin "taglista" lemon-arugula & truffle "patatine" (potato fries)

Both entrees were delectable. Sharing the two mains was a great decision and allowed us to try out the dessert sampler platter which consisted of:

1. Milk chocolate & hazelnut semi-freddo orange marshmallow center & Hazelnut dacquoise

2. Lemon cake, pistachio-cream layers and toasted meringue

3. "Mottino" of caramel, apricot-taleggio cream, chocolate butter cookie & almond cake

4. White chocolate mousse, black forest cake layers & dark chocolate-amarena mousse filling

The desserts were all delicious but my favourite had to be the MOTTINO. It was rich but not as rich as the other selections. 

I would definitely check out BORGO trattoria the next time you are in Calgary! Next on my list are the Coup and UNA both of which are located on 17th ave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment